Statement of Purpose

Why do graduate schools expect that you have a purpose, some purpose, any purpose, and then expect you to make coherent statements about it? I have no purpose, and I don't see why that should be important, really. At least, no purpose beyond whatever is immediately in front of me.

Current purpose: blog about statements of purpose.

Statement of current purpose: you're reading it right now. Blows the mind, doesn't it?

Next purpose: write a statement of purpose about a purpose I don't have and if I did have, I wouldn't want to make statements about.

Can't grad schools just assume that if I'm applying, then my most immediate purpose is to be accepted (I'll have no problem stating that), and my subsequent purpose will be to graduate with a degree of some sort affiliated with whatever program I'm enrolled in?

For those of you not in the know, I'm applying to a couple of different graduate schools for an MA in Public Archaeology or Cultural Resource Management, whichever the relevant school calls their degree program (I want an MA in PA or CRM, possibly at BU, USF, or USC, who all want SOP's, the SOB's).

Unrelated comment: I miss Djinn, who is home in Nashville right now for Thanksgiving Break to spend time with his family. He's spent the past three months with me, so I suppose I can begrudge them a week of his time (although to be fair, they had him for almost 21 years before I met him, so you'd think that would be enough).