the View

the View, by Modest Mouse
"As life gets longer, it also feels softer
Well it feels pretty soft to me
And if it takes shit to feel bliss
Well I feel pretty blissfully
And if life's not beautiful without the pain
Well I'd rather never even see beauty again
As life gets longer, it also feels softer
Well it feels pretty soft to me"

That's the song of the night. I'm back from Thanksgiving break and all seems to be well here in college, the roommates are back and the moon is out. It's a little bright for me to sleep well, but after last night's 4:00 AM Half-Life 2 spree, maybe I'll be tired enough to cancel the illumination. Ah, Half-Life 2. What a beautiful game. One of the first to make me take video game violence seriously. It's amazing what realistic physics, sound design, and character design will do to you when you pull the trigger--seeing a massive splatter on the wall and hearing an EKG flatline makes you take it a little more seriously. Though not seriously enough to spare them. Hell, it's my virtual man against their virtual men, and by God I'm not taking it lying down.

I'm probably too long-winded to work well in blog format, but you'll just have to deal. "We are fixed, right where we stand." More Modest Mouse. My mood is inscrutable and the best I can do to describe it is fatalistic. One of my projects for class is writing my autobiography. Nothing like realizing your life is a series of burnouts and failures to make you think twice about taking a zero and leaving the depths unexplored. Though a roommate asked me about my plans after college and I realized the future is a dark highway at night.

But taking off my sunglasses would help, too.

"We are fixed, right where we--are."