Two things...

First: Why haven't I bought this already?

Second: One of the universities I want to apply to for graduate school says on their application that the personal statement should discuss qualifications, educational objectives, career goals (all of which I understand) and for me to report any awards, memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies, publications, independent studies... things that would be on my curriculum vita (which I intend to send with my application). I'm thinking about writing to someone in the department (probably the graduate advisor, since in this case that professor's research interests also coincide with my own) to ask, among other things, what information the department would like to know about me in a personal statement. What questions the department wants me to address, rather than just what the graduate school as a whole wants to know.

Is that a good idea? A good question? Does it make me seem thoughtful or unfocused? Or am I just thinking too much about this?